What is the Purpose of a Domain Name?
Many people just starting to learn about domain names and websites will ask, “What is the purpose of a domain name?”. Well, a domain name can have many different purposes. Read on to learn some of the most common purposes for a domain name and then use our tools to find yourself a great domain name!
Here are some of the more common purposes for a domain name:
1. Exposure – The most basic purpose of all for a domain name is for the owner of the domain name to have whatever they choose to put up on the domain name’s website gain exposure on the World Wide Web.
2. Profit – One purpose that many have for buying domain names is that the domain names will make them money. They hope that they will either be able to park the domain name and collect money through the use of Pay Per Click (PPC) advertisements, develop the domain name by building a website on the domain, or resell the domain name in the future for a price greater than they paid for the domain name. In fact, there are even domain name professionals called domainers that do just these 3 types of things.
3. Fun- Of course we can’t leave out the fact that owning a domain name is just plain fun. One of the major purposes of a domain name is to bring joy to the owner and users. If you want to start a blog or build a website about your favorite rock band or put up a showcase of your graphic design work then its a cinch with a domain name and a website.
More Domain Name FAQ
- How to Flip Domain Names
- How to Make Money as a Domainer
- How to Make Money as a Domain Investor
- How to Monetize Domain Names
- How to Look up the Owner of a Domain Name